ONU & Wireless Gateway
When you use fiber internet service from Midco, we provide you with an optical network unit (ONU) in your business that a Midco professional technician installs to deliver your internet connection.
If you want Wi-Fi, you need a wireless gateway or third-party router to connect to your ONU. Current Midco-provided wireless gateways can reach speeds up to 1 Gbps downloads and uploads. They are:
- Available for lease or purchase
- Already tested and approved for the Midco Network
- Managed by Midco, meaning we push necessary firmware updates
- Supported by Midco’s technical customer care team
For packages with speeds greater than 1 Gbps, you must purchase your own router with a wide area network (WAN) port to match the speeds you’d like to receive.
How to Get A Wireless Gateway or Router
For Midco Business Fiber Internet, Midco leases wireless gateways for new and current fiber internet customers. Your Midco-provided wireless gateway will always be an up-to-date model so you get optimal speeds for your internet package. As technology advances, we’ll update the equipment for your business, so you don't need to use your own router or worry about keeping it updated.
- If you’re a new customer, you can lease or purchase a wireless gateway from Midco as a part of your contract. A Midco representative will discuss your business needs with you to make sure you’re getting the right equipment.
- If you’re a current customer and need new equipment, contact customer care, as changes in equipment may affect your network setup.
You may also use your own purchased router with Midco Business Fiber Internet service. To reach speeds above 1 Gbps available with our fiber internet service, you must provide your own router that meets the following specifications.
- For 1 Gbps speeds: a WAN interface with a 1 Gb port or higher
- For 2 Gbps speeds: a WAN interface with a 2.5 Gb port or higher
- For 5 Gbps speeds: a WAN interface with a 5 Gb port or higher
If you purchase and operate your own internet equipment, keep in mind that we’re not able to provide technical support or firmware updates for third-party equipment. Please refer to the router manufacturer for support details.
If you have questions about a router model or need to know if your existing router might work with our technology, we recommend that you contact us before you make a purchase. Please direct any other router questions to your business’ IT specialist or team, or your router manufacturer.
Best Gateway or Router Location
An expert Midco technician will provide advice and guidance on the best placement for all equipment when services are installed in your business. If you are using a third-party router, it’s important to know how to find a good location for the best possible Wi-Fi signal.
The further you’re away from your wireless gateway or router, the weaker your signal. This can be even more challenging if your wireless gateway is in a faraway room, as your building’s size and materials also impact signal strength.
You can maximize your gateway’s ability to broadcast a solid, dependable wireless signal by elevating it on a table or stand to keep it off the floor. We recommend you also keep it in the open and not place it behind other electronics.
If you have a Midco-provided wireless gateway and want to move it, please contact us, as moving the equipment may impact settings established by the Midco technician during installation.