10 Digit Dialing
Starting January 1, 2022, the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will require that callers use area codes for local calls in the 605, 218, 620 and 785 area codes. On and after January 1, all local calls made from these Midco service areas must include the area code, or they will not be successful. If your area code is not listed, you will not be affected by this change.
We encourage our business phone customers to make the switch from seven-digit dialing to 10-digit dialing.
FCC Adopts 988 for Nationwide Lifeline
Why is this change happening? The FCC has adopted 988 as a new, nationwide, three-digit number to reach the National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline, beginning July 16, 2022.
For 988 to work in your area code, mandatory 10-digit local dialing will be implemented to prevent issues with reaching the 988 Lifeline number.
Midco business phone customers should prepare now.
You can start making this change earlier – even right now. Here’s how:
- Begin dialing all 10 digits when making local phone calls.
- Update programmed numbers, speed dialers, phone contact lists, call forwarding settings and voicemail services.
- Update auto dialing equipment, including life safety systems, medical monitoring devices, PBXs, fax machines, Internet dial-up numbers and security systems like fire or burglar alarms and gates.
- Check business website or stationery, business checks, contact information and other similar items with your phone number listed to ensure the area code is included.
- Contact us if you have any questions.
10-Digit Dialing FAQ
What will remain the same?
- Your telephone number and area code
- Price of a call, coverage area or other rates and services
- Dialing of 1 + area code + telephone number for long distance calls
- National three-digit dialing services, like 911 and 711
- Local three-digit dialing for community services, like 211, 311, etc.
- Reaching the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1.800.273.TALK (8255) – until July 16, 2022.
Will everyone in the area need to dial 10-digits for local calls?
Yes. 10-digit dialing is a mandatory change for local calls in the 605, 218, 620 and 785 area codes. Seven-digit dialing for local calls will be prohibited for all customers in the entire area code.
When will this change begin?
It takes effect January 1, 2022. Making seven-digit calls on or after this date may not be completed, and a recording will inform you that your call cannot be completed as dialed.
On July 16, 2022, dialing “988” will route to the National Suicide Prevention and Mental Health Crisis Lifeline.
Who can I contact with questions?
Contact us or learn more by visiting the FCC website. If Midco is not your business’s phone services provider, please be sure to reach out to your phone provider.